Friday, April 15, 2011

Freshman Again

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever. Amen. II Pet. 3:18 (kjv)

I shared this verse in a previous update to talk about pressing forward. Today, I use it to talk about resting.

A. H. Strong illustrates growth in the Christian life by talking about growth in trees. "Growth," he says, "is not a uniform thing in the tree or in the Christian. In some single months there is more growth than in all the year besides. During the rest of the year, however, there is solidification, without which the green timber would be useless. The period of rapid growth, when woody fiber is actually deposited between the bark and the trunk, occupies but four to six weeks in May, June and July."

When I look ahead at the five or so years I plan to be at Friends University, it seems like a long time. Part of me feels restless; I want to go to the field right now! I wish I could condense all my schooling into one year and start the "real" work. I've comforted myself often with the thought that this time is necessary for me to get the training I need to do the work that lies in my future. But even this idea, I find, is incomplete.

Yes, I need this training, even though I wish it would pass more quickly. But more than that, I need this time. I need the solidification that the next five years will bring. Because it is God, not me, who is working to shape me into the image of His Son, I can rest in His time.

So far I've loved being at Friends University.  I'm a Psychology major with a minor in International Relations.  I thoroughly enjoyed my classes this semester and look forward to starting up again in a week. One of my favorite things has been participating in Concert Choir; I've loved getting to sing with a wonderful group of people and performing at various places in Wichita.

Christmas break was fun--spending time with family and friends is always enjoyable--but it has also been a little frustrating because I"m on a job hunt. My job at the hotel was certainly God's provision for my first semester at Friends, but all good things come to an end, so I find myself back on the job market.

I was able to pick up an odd job this week while I continue to fill out applications, and I am hoping to be able to do some work-study once the semester starts. Pray that God will continue to prove His absolute faithfulness just as He has over and over in my life. I am constantly reminded how much I depend on Him for everything in my life, and I can't wait to see the plans He has for this new year.

Please pray that I will be able to get a job soon, since my rent and utilities are due in February, and I commute to the Friends campus from my apartment. Also pray that God will continue to draw me closer to Himself. I want Him to be my one, true Goal, even when distractions and worries are a dime a dozen.

I say this a lot, because it is true: I am so thankful to God for each of you! Your prayers and support are so appreciated. I'd love to hear how your holidays were and what your plans are for 2011, as well as any way that I can pray for you.

In Him,

Deborah Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment